Sunday 6 March 2011

Three-ish Down

...and 443 to go. One of the new things on my metaphorical plate is reading. No, not as in generally reading, I've always been a great fan of reading. So, I figured I would expand my horizons so to speak. So with that in mind I set out to find more books to read. Lo and behold, I found a compilation called "1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die". Awesome! Although that book is apparently a literary reference book, so instead of reading all the books you can just read this one and know about all the 1001 books. You're kidding me right?, I thought. That's no way to "read" a book. So I on my ever-expanding list of "Things to do whilst I'm still alive" I am now adding:

  • Read all the books from "1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die". Watching a movie based on the book does not count towards this. Reading a summary does not count towards this.

So I tried looking for all the books. And I thought I had, but it turned out I only manage to acquire 446 of them. So that's a bit of a bummer, but since I still have quite a lot to read I'm cool for now. So far I've read I, Robot by Isaac Asimov and Do Androids Dream of Digital Sheep by Philip K. Dick. Both which have movies based on them. Very.. very loosely based.
I've also read The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams, but since it's more than ten years since I read it, I haven't really decided if it counts. Besides it was a very entertaining book.

Oh right, the title of "Three-ish Down"? I haven't finished reading I, Robot quite yet. But it's really good and both of these science fiction books are a good warm-up to my later reads which will include Jane Austen, H.P. Lovecraft, Lewis Carroll, Fyodor Dostoyevsky and many many more.

And let me tell you, I am not looking forward to reading Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice. But it's on the list, that and 5 other books by her, so read it I must. Wish me luck.