Monday 16 December 2013

Carlos’ Countdown ‘Til Christmas (8)

8 days until Christmas. The countdown continues.




Let’s face it, those two previous posts were pretty poo. I was supposed to do a Christmas countdown and in two days I only managed to squeeze in a measly link to a Yule Goat (“Julbock”, “Halmbock”) which I didn’t even properly explain anyway.

“The Yule goats origins might go as far back as to pre-Christian days. A popular theory is that the celebration of the goat is in connection to the Norse god Thor, who rode the sky in a chariot drawn by two goats, Tanngrisnir and Tanngnjóstr.”

It would appear that we still celebrate a lot of our traditions in the only way we know how to party, the pagan way.

So, “Why a Yule Goat?” I’m sure you’re asking and the reason is simple. Before my departure to Stockholm I asked my wife if there was anything she wanted me to bring her from the country of the Swedes. And well, she wanted a Yule Goat because it’s a very dear Christmas decoration to her. And I saw no reason to not abide by her request. I like them too so it’s a “win-win” situation.

In its rightful place.

Tricky bastard to find though.

There, now I’ve explained it, in the as much detail as it requires. Keep in mind that these posts were always supposed to be short and sweet poo.